Hon. Justice Mary Ukaego Odili was born on the 12th May, 1952 at Amudi Obizi, Ezinitte – Mbaise L.G.A. of Imo State.
She attended various primary schools including St Benedict’s Primary School, Obizi Ezinitte, St Michael’s Primary School, Umuahia, St Agnes Primary School, Maryland, Lagos and Our Lady of Apostles Primary School, Yaba, Lagos between 1959 and 1965.
She also attended various secondary schools including Our Lady of Apostles Secondary School, Yaba, Owerri Girls Secondary School, Owerri, Mbaise Girls Secondary School, Mbaise and the Queen of the Rosary College, Onitsha between 1965 and 1972.
She later proceeded to the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (Enugu Campus) and obtained her Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LL.B (Hons)) in 1976. She attended the Nigerian Law School in 1977 for her B.L certificate.
Her previous professional appointments/positions held include:
- Pupil State Counsel, Ministry of Justice, Abeokuta, Ogun State (1977 – 1978)
- Pupil State Counsel, Ministry of Justice, Benin, Bendel State (1978)
- Magistrate Grade III, Benin, Bendel State (1978 -1979)
- Chairman, Juvenile Court, Benin, Bendel State (1978 - 1978)
- Magistrate Grade II, Rivers State(1979 – 1981)
- Chairman, Juvenile Court, Rivers State (1979 - 1981)
- Magistrate Grade I, Chief Magistrate Grade I (1981 - 1992)
- Judge, High Court of Rivers State (1992 - 2004)
- Justice, Court of Appeal, Abuja Judicial Division (2004 - 2010)
- Presiding Justice, Court of Appeal, Kaduna Division (2010 – 2011)
Hon. Justice Mary Ukaego Odili was appointed a Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria (JSC) on 23rd June, 2011.