Hon. Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad was born on 31st December, 1953 at Doguwa – Giade, Giade LGA of Bauchi State.
After his secondary education at Government Secondary School, Azare in 1973, he proceeded to the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria for his Bachelor of Law degree (1980). He later got his LL.M (1984) and Ph.D in Law (1998) from the same University.
His professional appointments and positions held include:
- Magistrate Grade II (1982 – 1984)
- Magistrate Grade I & Ag. Snr Magistrate Grade II ( 1984 – 1986)
- Senior Magistrate II (May 1986 – July 1986)
- Deputy Chief Registrar/Chief Magistrate, FCT High Court (1989 – 1991)
- Judge (Kadi), Bauchi State Sharia Court of Appeal (1991 – 1993)
- Justice, Court of Appeal (1993 – 2006)
Hon. Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad was appointed a Justice of the Supreme Court (JSC) in 2006 and sworn in on 7th January, 2007.